I suppose I could say something about myself before launching into what this page is here for. I'm a student at Ottawa University, studying English. I live in a fantastic house by the Ottawa river with a fantastic group of friends; a house where I happen to have a pretty sizable oven. On top of school, I also work as a cook/pastry chef at an upscale retirement home, where I am privileged enough to work with some incredible chefs who were - and are - very patient and helpful as I learn more and more about the culinary arts. I've never gone to culinary school, but have been working in the industry for about four years now. I definitely have a ton left to learn, but am loving every second of the learning process.
My favorite book at work is an incredibly beat up copy of 'The Professional Pastry Chef', third edition. It belongs to my Chef De Cuisine and is always the first place I turn to when looking for a recipe. It's packed full of everything I need to know in the pastry shop: From tips to get better tasting and textured pie crusts, to advice on working with sugar to make exotic looking food. Some of those recipes I've committed to memory, I love them so much, though for the most part I have to search through the dozens of pages of index - it's a big book. Last week I bought a copy for myself, of the fourth edition, and decided to cook everything in it. Everything.
That's why I'm here, writing this. If I were to eat everything I make over the next godknowshowlong, I would likely explode, or actually gain a couple pounds for once. So, I will feed my friends and house-mates, bribe a photographer to take beautiful pictures, and talk about the process here. Obviously, I can't share the recipes from the book but from time to time, perhaps, I can share some of my own.
The crux of this process is that I do not have a professional pastry shop at home. I don't have stand mixers, steam injectors, proofing boxes, etc. The list goes on and on. I don't even have a convection oven, which is the one piece of equipment I wish for most. Frankly, though I manage quite well, as a student I don't really have the option of equipping my kitchen the way I'd like. That's where "Honestly Pastries" comes in. I don't plan on hiding my mistakes, shortcomings, or blatant #@?& ups. Despite this, for the most part, I think you will find beautiful, delicious food, made in the sort of kitchen you can find in any home. I know I'll learn a ton doing this. I'm super excited.
I also know exactly what I'm taking on first.
Enjoy! -Robb
No comments:
Post a Comment