Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Old Nemesis: The Soufflée

     I have never before successfully made a soufflée, of any kind - whether savory or sweet. To be fair, I think I've only tried once, back when I was somewhere around the age of twelve. Obviously I had no idea where to begin with it. Luckily, my second ever attempt at the soufflée appears not to have suffered from lack of experience.

     Without any sort of modification, the recipe for the cheese soufflées was delicious, carrying just a hint of a bite from the cayenne pepper. The key, as with any cheese-based flavors, is the quality of the cheese. I was lucky enough to be able to get my hands on a legitimate Parmesan and a Gruyère from Switzerland, both extremely flavorful and generally top-notch cheeses. The finished product was absolutely gorgeous.


     Obviously, there's a problem with attempting to take a series of good photos of soufflées. It is inevitable that they fall before you are finished with them. This is the same problem that causes most kitchens to avoid serving these lovely appetizers: They cannot sit out of the oven for any time at all. Even in the first picture, the soufflée has begun to collapse, though it was still passable. Thirty seconds later they were nearing the point of no return.


     Now, I went out of my way to find ramekins before attempting to create these, finding them at a beautiful store not far from my house called 'Kitchenalia.' Not only did they have a wide selection of ramekins, they also had just about everything you could desire as far as kitchen wares go. They were also nice enough to give me a small discount for bringing my girlfriend along, who works across the street at Juniper's Kitchen & Wine Bar. The Ramekins are not strictly necessary for soufflées though. I made a small batch in a muffin tin and, though they lack the crisp top of the traditional soufflée, the sloped sides proved steep enough for them to rise. They are rather difficult to remove without causing a complete collapse; I would recommend brushing the insides with flour, as well as the usual butter and parmesan, to make the removal process slightly easier.



Thanks for reading!

-Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment